You may already have heard of this but oats contain properties that may help soothe itching and reduce inflammation. My Doctor always wants to prescribe me Aveeno for my eczema but this brands is not for me. It is full of ingredients I avoid however it is formulated with colloidal oatmeal (finely ground oats). If you wish to include oats in your beauty routine, I would suggest starting with a bath. This natural remedy may not work for everyone but it is one I have been using for years.
You will need
- plain porridge oats (not the instant kind)
- elastic band
- muslin cloth or clean pair of tights
- Lay muslin cloth on a flat surface
- Place one or two handfuls of oats in the centre of cloth
- Gather the edges and secure with an elastic band to form a bundle (a hair tie, string or ribbon could be used if you do not have an elastic band to hand)
- Add the muslin oat bag to a bath, running water over it to help turn the water ‘milky’. On occasions squeeze the muslin bag to release more of the oat ‘milk’.
- Make sure the water temperature is not too hot as that can aggravate sensitive skin
- Now enjoy a soak in the bath. You can leave the oat bag in the water and use it to wash your body.
- When you are finished bathing, discard the oats in your food waste bin and the muslin cloth can be washed and reused.
- When drying yourself, remember to pat the towel on skin rather than rubbing
- If you wish to follow up with a lotion containing oats, you may be interested in *Caralis triple oat cream
Follow me on